Saturday, July 23, 2011

Do Donut Peaches Sound Like a Good Idea?


The other day I found something new at my local market. Donut peaches. They look a little like radiation mutation peaches to me. I bought a few and when I got them home I was even more confused. One of them had a sticker that said Flying Saucer Peaches. A little online research leads me to believe they're the same thing.
The origins of the donut peach are in Asia, where flat peaches have been cultivated for centuries. In the mid-1800s, several varieties were exported to the United States, and Chinese flat peaches, as they were called, became popular for a brief time. The fruits fell out of fashion, however, and the flat peach was considered an essentially lost heirloom variety until the 1990s, when it began to enter widespread cultivation again. Source.

I didn't think they tasted any different from “normal” peaches. They were good but weird. You could easily eat one in three bites. I think I prefer taking my time with my usual peaches.  

I found this interesting video tutorial on painting donut peaches. In the beginning the artist gives you a bit of the mythology of the fruit.


No comments:

Post a Comment