Monday, November 14, 2011

Banana Bran Buttermilk Muffins


The other day I thought I'd be good and buy a high fibre cereal. Unfortunately I chose a no name brand.  I had to toss out my first (and only) bowl because it was just gross. So here I was, most of a box of bran cereal sitting in my cupboard. I had to find something to do with it. Luckily I had a muffin recipe filed away in my recipe box. I have no idea where it came from but it seems to be a pretty standard recipe.


Now, I've never made muffins by myself before. I've helped other people but this was my first solo effort. Who knew there was a trick to filling muffin tins with those little paper thingys in them? I ditched them for the second batch. I think those turned out pretty well. They're tasty too. This recipe makes 24 muffins.


Ingredients:


1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup white sugar
2 cup hot buttermilk
2 cup all-bran cereal
2 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
3 pureed bananas
4 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
5 teaspoons baking powder




Directions:

  • Set oven to 375 degrees F. Move the oven rack to second lowest position.
  • Spray 12 muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray, and line with paper liners.
  • In a medium pot, heat the buttermilk.
  • Add cereal to the buttermilk and let sit until the bran has absorbed the liquid.
  • Meanwhile purée the banana.
  • Once the buttermilk has been absorbed, transfer the bran mixture to a large bowl, and add in the puréed banana; mix to combine.
  • Mix the two sugars together, then add to the bran/banana mixture with the egg, vanilla and oil; blend well to combine.
  • Mix together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and add to the banana mixture; mix gently to make a soft batter.
  • With an ice cream scoop, divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups.
  • Bake about 22-28 minutes or until muffins test done.
This recipe is pretty sweet. I know that there is a way to exchange the white and brown sugar for honey but I'm not really sure how it would work. Honey burns more readily than sugar so cooking time would have to be reduced. Maybe I'll try it the next time I make these.


Mystical Connections:

Bananas: Their planet is Mars. Their element is Air. Their energies are spirituality, love and money. 

As always, the magical information used in this post come from Wicca in the Kitchen.

1 comment:

  1. To exchange sugar for honey use 1/3 less.

    Honey is real sweet. I have even cut sugar in half.

    ReplyDelete