Monday, November 14, 2011

Broccoli Rice & Shrimp Soup



Do you ever buy too much of something? I don't know how I ended up with a bunch of extra broccoli but I'm glad I had this recipe tucked away in my files.

Ingredients
1/2 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1/4 pound small shrimp, shelled and deveined
1 small onion, finely diced
1 carrot, diced*
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup rice
1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 head broccoli, trimmed and cut in to small florets
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives or scallions (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  • Heat oil in a soup pot. Add shrimp and stir over medium heat until cooked through (3 or 4 minutes). Remove shrimp and set aside.
  • Add onion to the pot and stir for one minute. Add carrot, stock, rice, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
  • Add broccoli and continue simmering for another five minutes then remove from heat.
  • Add shrimp and stir to combine. 
  • Serve with a sprinkling of chives as garnish.
Serves 4.

*I like my soup "chunky" or rustic. I don't cut everything the same size or shape. Bigger pieces might take a little longer to cook. 

Mystical Connections
Broccoli - has a water element. Its energy is protection and its planet is the Moon.


As always, the magical information used in this post come from Wicca in the Kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment