Do you ever buy too much of something? I don't know how I ended up with a bunch of extra broccoli but I'm glad I had this recipe tucked away in my files.
1/2 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1/4 pound small shrimp, shelled and deveined
1 small onion, finely diced
1 carrot, diced*
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup rice
1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 head broccoli, trimmed and cut in to small florets
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives or scallions (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a soup pot. Add shrimp and stir over medium heat until cooked through (3 or 4 minutes). Remove shrimp and set aside.
- Add onion to the pot and stir for one minute. Add carrot, stock, rice, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add broccoli and continue simmering for another five minutes then remove from heat.
- Add shrimp and stir to combine.
- Serve with a sprinkling of chives as garnish.
*I like my soup "chunky" or rustic. I don't cut everything the same size or shape. Bigger pieces might take a little longer to cook.
Broccoli - has a water element. Its energy is protection and its planet is the Moon.
As always, the magical information used in this post come from Wicca in the Kitchen.